Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Coming Soon!
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

 
 

 
Within this Collection:

Cover and intro

Photographs

Historical Development

Recent historic memories

Memorial Windows

Patrons

50 year members


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints

Frostburg United Methodist Church, 150th Anniversary 1835-1985


Frostburg United Methodist Church celebrated its 150 anniversary in 1985 and an anniversary committee put together this history of the church.

Frostburg Methodist
The Methodists (according to Scharf’s History) were the first group in Frostburg to build a “church” building rather than a meeting house or school house. The congregation continues with three buildings on the same plot of ground located at 48 West Main Street. The land was sold by Isaiah and Sarah Neff Frost—1/4 acre for $ 100. The Frosts also supplied land for a cemetery, which later became Percy Cemetery. The first church was small and built of stone. It had a half-circle moon at the top front for a window and a small steeple. By 1842, First Methodist Episcopal Church, on the former Allegany Circuit, became the head church of the Frostburg Circuit with thirteen other meeting places.

This document includes the early history of the church, the uniting of the church with the Grace Church and the John Welsey Methodist Church, a full account of the persons memorialized in the stain glass windows throughout the church and a list of those church attendees who had been members for 50 years.

More on the history of the church can be found at
Frostburg United Methodist Church.


Western Maryland Regional Library is most grateful to Anthony Crosby for making this document available

The postcard is from the collection of Albert and Angela Feldstein.

 
   
Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image