Tableland Trails, Allegany County
Tableland Trails, a Quarterly Magazine Devoted to the History, Folklore and Cultural Interests of the Tri State Area, was produced by the Tableland Trails Foundation, between 1953 and 1963. Felix G. Robinson was the founder, editor, and a major contributor. The publication included information on Garrett and Allegany Counties in Maryland, and several counties in neighboring Pennsylvania and West Virginia. This website includes only the articles on Allegany County. The website on Garrett County is found at Tableland Trails, Garrett County.
The breadth of material about Allegany County's history is extensive. Robinson wrote many of the articles, and selected others. He included articles on recent paleontological discoveries in Cumberland, the history of the State Teachers College at Frostburg (now Frostburg State University), Mount Savage and George's Creek as well as religious foundations in Cumberland.
The article on the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, taken from the The American Forest, 1953, is a discussion about the future of the canal, road or park. Of interest to Cumberland historians would be the article by James Avirett, local lawyer and Allegany County Library trustee, entitled "Local Landmarks", which described George Washington's headquarters, Jane Frazier's house and Rose Hill. More fun, perhaps, are the stories included in the "Allegany Almanack". It contained much relevant history of Allegany County which was sent to the troops overseas during World War II along with a monthly mimeographed letter.
Felix Robinson was born in Oakland in 1898. Educated at Gettysburg College and Seminary, Mr. Robinson was a Lutheran minister for many years, serving churches in Long Island, The Bronx, Keyser, W. Va., and the Arthurdale Community Church, W. Va. Another of Mr. Robinson's major interests was music. He developed and directed the annual Mountain Choir festival at the Mountain Lake Park amphitheater for several years. He directed the celebration of the Oakland Centennial in 1949 and the Friendsville Bicentennial in 1966. He wrote the Song of the Oaks for the former and the Ballad of the Yough for the latter.
His interest in the history of Garrett County and the adjacent counties in Maryland, West Virginia and Pennsylvania, led him in the 1950s and 1960s to publish Tableland Trails, devoted to the history and traditions of what he termed the tableland region. He also contributed many articles on historical subjects to Baltimore and Pittsburgh papers and a permanent contributing editor of The Glades Star, the publication of the Garrett County Historical Society.
More on Felix Robinson can be found at the Felix G. Robinson Papers at Georgetown University Library, where his papers are housed.
|Western Maryland Regional Library is grateful to Ariel Deforest Robinson and Muriel Robinson Franc, the children of Felix G. Robinson, for permitting us to put these volumes online, and to Ruth Enlow Library, Oakland, and the Maryland State Law Library for making them available.
Thanks also to Bob Boal of the Garrett County Historical Society for suggesting this collection be made available online.