Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search
Collection:


Words or Phrase:


Search Method Help Image




Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Coming Soon!
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description
        
 

 
 

 
Within this Collection:


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
Bookmark and Share


The History of the Casselman River Bridge, Garrett County


The Bridge over the Casselman River near Grantsville in Garrett County, started in 1813 and completed in 1815, was at one time the longest single span stone arch bridge in the United States. The bridge forded what was then known as the Little Youghiogheny and it was along the National Road from Cumberland to Wheeling and beyond. David Shriver, the superintendent of construction of the Cumberland Road Bridge, hired Abraham Kerne and John Byrson.

The bridge has been repaired but remains a testimony to their design and workmanship, providing passage for countless freight and passenger vehicles, pedestrians, and livestock on America's first federally-funded and built highway. The bridge was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1963 and is owned by the State of Maryland and preserved as part of the Casselman Bridge State Park.


Casselman Bridge, 1931
Click on the link in our new collection management program Casselman Bridge, near Grantsville


.
Western Maryland Regional Library is grateful to the Ruth Enlow Library and the Springs Historical Society for their help..


 
   
Western Maryland Regional Library
101 Tandy Drive
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image