Cumberland business women, 1899
The following business ads, placed by women, appeared in an 1899 publication entitled, Cumberland, Its Industries and Its Men
- Mrs. A.M. Hodell, 54 Baltimore Street, millinery and manufacturer of hair goods such as wigs, toupets, bangs, switches, doll wigs, and ornaments.
- The Maryland House, on Queen City Pavement, is one of the most home-like, pleasant, and well-kept stopping places in Cumberland. Conveniently located, a table abundantly laden, and beds that are soft and clean. Your landlord, Mrs. Sutton.
- Mrs. Margaret Sanders, Cumberland’s leading and most prominent dressmaker and teacher of dressmaking – 104 Bedford Street.
- Mrs. Jennie Cooper, Cumberland’s sole agent for the Standard Silverware Company of Boston – whose goods are of superior quality – 36 Polk Street.
- The McCormick House, a large new modern hotel at 107 Virginia Avenue – owned and operated by Mrs. McCormick, a kind and accommodating landlady who offers rates of $1.00 per day, and 25 cents per meal.
Text - Sam Griffin, The Independent
The Independent industrial and historical edition : Cumberland, its industries and its men : supplement to The Independent, prepared by Sam Griffin,
published Cumberland, Md. : Independent Pub. Co., 1899.
Frostburg State University Library
Allegany County (Md.)--Biography; Allegany County (Md.)--Women.
Allegany County, (Md.)