Whilbr Heading
Search | Use Google Search

Words or Phrase:

Search Method Help Image

Left Nav Image    Home   |   Links   |   Contact Us   |   Facebook   |   Digital Whilbr
Yellow Bar image
Description ImageWhilbr Description


Collection Dropdown Image
Allegany County
Category Divider
Garrett County
Category Divider
Washington County
Category Divider
Civil War in Maryland
Category Divider
Genealogy Resources
Category Divider
Photographs and Prints
Obituaries - Davis

Click on the MEDIA ITEMS below for more information


(husband of SARAH TENNANT DAVIS)- (Continued)

organized and put to work to reach the imprisoned men, beginning at the inner end of the break on the surface. The labor was great from 9 p.m. Monday to 5 1/2 a.m. Wednesday—32 1/2 hours, when Messrs Davis and Hager were released, overjoying their families and friends. At times at least 500 people were on the ground manifesting anxiety for the fate of the two men.” [FMJ 11-23-1907, p. 3]

“The Borden Mine Disaster. Borden Mine, Nov. 29, 1877. Dear Journal:— Thinking you would like to have a correct account of the accident occurring here on Monday evening, I will as briefly as I can give you the facts in the case.
What is known as the old Borden Mine is not, as are most of the mines in the region, started from the outcrop of the coal, but driven in the side of the hill across the metals for a considerable distance until the coal is reached. Where it first enters the hill, for a distance of about a hundred yards, the material is heavy clay, interspersed with sandstone boulders. This has been strongly timbered, but in consequence of the heavy rains of last week such an additional weight was brought to bear upon the timbers, some of which had become partially decayed, they were unable to stand the pressure.
On Monday Mr. John Davis, the mine boss, accompanied by Messrs. John Hager, Alexander Tennant, Jr., and Allen J. Mason, went into the mine to do some necessary repairs. Having completed their task at a little after five o’clock in the evening, they started to come out; on getting near the entrance they discovered that the timbers were giving away and the dirt falling. Mason and Tennant, seeing this, ran for the entrance and succeeded in getting safely through; the others, not thinking there was any immediate danger, paused a moment until the loose dirt would fall, and in that moment lost their only chance of escape, as the whole mass before them came rushing down, filling the heading for about twenty yards and making on the surface an opening about ten yards in diameter. All other means of egress from the mine were on examination found to be closed.”
As soon after the discovery of this fact as possible a force was organized and put to work in the opening on the surface caused by the fall, at the side next to the mine. On the supposition that at this point there was a distance of about thirty feet to the top of the timbers the opening was started with a slope so as to reach the mine at a point where it was supposed the timber was yet unbroken. As the result proved, these suppositions were correct. After the most indefatigable perseverance—after laboring from 9 p.m. of Monday until 5 1/2 a.m. of Wednesday, a period of 32 1/2 hours, the men were safely rescued, causing great rejoicing, not only in the families of the men rescued, but in the entire community, as the whole period was one of intense excitement. At times it was supposed that not less than five hundred persons were on the ground, men, women and children, all apparently anxious to do something for the rescue. R.W.M.” [FMJ 12-1-1877, p. 2] {R.W.M. is ROBERT WHARTON MASON, who is also buried in Percy Cemetery.}

Scharf (p. 1480) notes that Mr. Davis was a member of the building committee of the English Baptist Congregation in 1872.

(son of JOHN and SARAH DAVIS)
b. June 1872
d. December 2, 1938
a. 65

“John Alexander Davis, 65, co-owner of the Davis Brothers Tobacco Store, died last night at his home, 37 Broadway. He had been ill for two months. Mr. Davis was the son of the late John Davis, who served as postmaster of Frostburg and Sarah Tennant Davis, and a native of Midlothian, where he worked as a coal miner for 12 years before moving to Frostburg. He was assistant postmaster for several terms. Mr. Davis was a member of St. Paul’s Lutheran Church and Mountain Lodge, No. 99, A.F. and A.M. Surviving is a brother, James F.[sic] Davis of Frostburg, his associate in business. Miss Aggie T. Davis, retired school teacher, who died Aug. 17, was a sister.” [CET 12-3-1938, p. 2]

“Final rites for John Alexander Davis, 65, businessman, who died Friday night, were held yesterday afternoon from his home, 37 Broadway. Rev. Walter V. Simon, pastor of St. Paul’s Lutheran Church, officiated. Mountain City Council No. 11, Jr. O.U.A.M., and Mountain Castle, No. 16, Knights of Golden Eagle, conducted services at the home and mountain [sic] Lodge, No. 99, A.F. and A.M., were in charge of the service at the grave. The flower bearers and pallbearers were members of the three lodges, with which Mr. Davis was affiliated.
Burial was in Percy Cemetery. There was a profusion of flowers and the services were largely attended. Mr. Davis, son of the late John and Sarah Tennant Davis, was born in Midlothian and resided in Borden Mines a number of years before moving to Frostburg. He served as assistant postmaster under his father from 1898 to 1903 after which he and his brother, James, opened a retail tobacco store. He continued in this business until his death. The hundreds of people who called at the home bespoke of the high esteem in which he was held in the


Page #:

Anthony E. Crosby and Michael R. Olson


Collection Location:
Frostburg, Md

Original Size:
28 x 22 cms

Cemeteries, Maryland, Frostburg; Obituaries, Maryland, Frostburg. .

Frostburg (Md.), 1800-1972

Western Maryland Regional Library
100 South Potomac Street
Hagerstown, Maryland 21740

Footer Image     Contact Webmaster  |  Copyright Information Top Line Image